Both diligent home care and professional dental hygiene appointments are vital in keeping your teeth and gums in optimal condition. Our staff is both gentle and thorough.
Maintaining proper dental hygiene
You might have heard that it’s important to schedule a dental appointment every six months. But have you ever wondered why? Many patients are unaware of the importance of maintaining their oral health with routine cleanings. It might be tempting to skip your next cleaning, but doing so is ill-advised.
Plaque hardens on your teeth in as little as 26 hours. Once it’s there, it will mineralize and become much harder to remove. At UDental, our hygienists will use their professional tools and skill sets to remove this plaque. Our staff is gentle and thorough.
Both diligent home care and professional dental hygiene appointments are vital in keeping your teeth and gums in optimal condition.
Professional dental cleaning
Your hygienist will begin by performing a thorough exam of your gums. Any plaque buildup will be removed with specially designed instruments before your teeth are polished.
During your cleaning, we’ll follow a comprehensive routine that refreshes your smile. Preventative x-rays are used to diagnose and develop treatment plans for many conditions. X-rays can determine bone levels, areas of decay, cysts, tumors, and abscesses. We will only take x-rays when necessary to diagnose and treat any conditions.
For patients with sensitive teeth, we can use local anaesthesia to freeze your mouth and prevent discomfort during your cleaning. We also offer more extensive hygiene appointments to address issues such as periodontal disease.
If you don’t get your cleanings done regularly, then you may need extra time to get caught up. Let us know if it’s been awhile since your last appointment so we can schedule enough time to treat you properly.
Teeth Cleaning Prevents Gum Disease
By maintaining proper dental hygiene, you can avoid conditions such as periodontal disease. Our gums are the tissues that hold our teeth in place; if they become infected or weakened, it may lead to the loss of your teeth.
Gum disease is more common than you might think. In Canada, seven out of ten people show signs of periodontal disease. This condition can lead to tooth loss; naturally, you want to know the best way to protect yourself against it.
In most cases, gum disease is caused by poor oral hygiene. Plaque and tartar on the teeth lead to gum irritation. In turn, this can facilitate the development of periodontal disease.
Gum disease has three distinct stages:
- Gingivitis. Signs of this stage include bad breath, bleeding, and red gums. When caught early enough, gum disease is reversible as long as you prioritize your oral health.
- Mild to Moderate Periodontitis. Symptoms of gingivitis will begin to get worse, and you may notice advanced gum recession.
- Advanced. At this stage, the infection begins to cause bone deterioration. It may lead to loose teeth and difficulty chewing.
When you schedule teeth cleaning services, our dentists can monitor and address any signs of gum disease. We will take measurements of your gum pocketing to assess your periodontal health.
Our dentists can teach you proper brushing techniques, such as using a soft-bristled brush and gentle motions to clean the teeth. We can also recommend treatments that help you manage the side effects of gum disease, and prevent it from advancing further.
Benefits of Routine Teeth Cleaning
For most patients, a professional cleaning every six months is appropriate. If more frequent appointments are needed, your dentist will let you know during your visit.
Are you on the fence about scheduling your next deep cleaning treatment? When your teeth are cleaned regularly by a professional dentist, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Improve your overall health. A tooth infection has implications for your entire body. Research has revealed that poor oral health may lead to the development of other medical conditions. Take care of your oral health to prevent other complications.
- Save money. Some patients are hesitant to book a cleaning because of its upfront cost. But down the line, routine maintenance can end up saving you money. The cost of filling a cavity is significantly lower than a root canal or tooth extraction.
- Prevent oral health issues. An untreated infection may lead to an abscess in the tooth. Preventative maintenance helps you avoid losing teeth.
- Remove tartar. Also known as calculus, this build-up of hard minerals can only be removed using dental tools. Neglecting to visit the dentist allows it to accumulate on the teeth. Its sticky surface attracts bacteria, which increases your risk of cavities.
Enjoy a brighter smile. Who doesn’t love that smooth feeling of freshly polished teeth? After you leave the dentist’s office, your smile looks like a million bucks. That squeaky-clean feeling is tough to replicate on your own; you only get a perfectly clean smile when you visit your dentist. For even better results, ask us about our teeth whitening services.
Book a Teeth Cleaning Today
Investing in your oral health is an investment in a lifetime of strong, healthy teeth. Is it time for your next professional teeth cleaning in Edmonton? At UDental Clinic, we can look after your routine hygiene needs. Should you require further treatments, we’ll schedule you in for a filling, root canal, or extraction. Contact us today.